No one is more aware that school is resuming than our family. This year our boys will be in grades 10th, 8th, 5th and our youngest will take part in a half-day 4K program. As we dive into another school year, God is opening my eyes to many things.
1. TIME FLIES. I feel like I just graduated from high school myself. Like all parents, I see that time is passing by quickly. Personally, I don’t plan on being one of those parents that looks back with nothing but regret. They are only this age once and I know I will miss them when they’re gone.
2. TEACHERS MATTER. More important that having prayer in schools is the need for truly God called teachers. Teachers that pray, really care, meet students where they are and do all they can to point every child towards God’s best for their life. We need to pray for the teachers and students.
3. OUR KIDS ARE MISSIONARIES. When it comes to where your child attends school I respect whatever your conviction. We all want our kids to be safe and get a quality education. My wife and I have always been of the same mindset that wherever our kids attend we hope they make a difference. We pray they reach out to the lonely, respect their teachers and peers and I’ve seen firsthand that God can use them regardless of their age. Time has proven that friends reach friends. I pray my kids are used by God every day.
4. LIFE IS FULL OF NOT FAIR MOMENTS. Kids will be kids. Prior to the first day of school I have one son who is still begging me to let him switch to another class. Most of his friends from last year are in a different class and he says they will only see each other during recess. Sorry, but I’ve not shed the first tear. I’ve met his teacher and I know she will treat him right. My response, “Son, life is full of not fair moments. This is not the end of the world.”
5. WHAT REALLY MATTERS? Earlier my wife informed me that according to normal standards our boys were not ready for school. Two of them don’t even have book bags. None of them will be wearing even one new piece of clothing and there are still many school supplies to be purchased. We both looked at each other in that moment and agreed. If that is the greatest concerns we have about our children going into this new school year, we are more than blessed. Our kids are healthy, happy and have all the things that money can’t buy. May God bless every school, teacher, student and home this new school year.