Everywhere you turn, someone is going through something. You don’t have to flip on the TV or your computer. Just walk across the street and talk to your neighbor. I can see that huge smile on Satan’s face as he’s convinced many that the best is behind them. Many Christians spend too much time talking about how America is falling apart and how things can never get better. I’m glad you’re not God.
ATTENTION BELIEVERS. This world has fallen short dating back to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. People have struggled, sin has abounded, and many have chosen to go their own way. Nowhere in scripture does God say our hope is dependent upon our circumstances or what CNN has to say about America. I know we’re living in the end times, but that doesn’t change the hope that is in front of us. Allow me to share some brief truths from my recent message at Refuge Church.
1. MOST LOOK FOR HOPE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES. Hope can’t be found in a bottle, a pill, a psychic reading, a lottery ticket, wishful thinking or anything else created by fallen man. Most wake up hoping in things that will continue to disappoint and leave them empty.
(Proverbs 16:25) “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.”
2. HOPE IS ONLY FOUND IN JESUS CHRIST. Only Jesus gives us hope that is good both in this life and the life to come. When things fall apart you need an anchor. You need someone who will never leave, nor forsake you. You need someone who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Jesus provides us with an anchor of hope that will always hold us together.
(Hebrews 6:19) “We have THIS HOPE as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.”
3. SATAN WANTS YOU TO THINK YOU HAVE OTHER OPTIONS. Satan’s goal is to distract, depress, and destroy you. He does this best by making you believe that you have other options. He leads you to dead end roads that only lead to heartache and further disappointment. Satan wants you to live in chaos. Jesus wants to give you peace, hope, and life everlasting. Every other option is disaster waiting. Satan loves to tempt us with things that seem promising at the moment, but tomorrow will devastate your life. It may seem narrow minded, but there is only one way to finding hope. And that way is Jesus.
(1 Peter 5:8) “Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.”
(John 10:10) “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”
4. HOPE NEVER DEPENDS ON YOUR CIRCUMSTANCE.
Here is the greatest news you will hear today. It doesn’t matter where you’ve been, what you’ve been through, or where life finds you now. In Christ, the future is always looking bright. Hope is always at your fingertips.
(Jeremiah 29:11) “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”
5. HOPE IS ONLY A PRAYER AWAY. The moment you quit trying to do things your way and choose God’s way, hope rises. The moment you turn everything that is weighing on your heart over to God, hope rises. The moment our country repents, seeks God’s face, and humbles itself before God, hope rises. Hope always begins on our knees. Not in attaining more knowledge, not in trying harder, but in turning things over to a God who can do things that defy logic and transcend the normally possible.
(2 Chronicles 7:14-15) Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. My eyes will be open and my ears attentive to every prayer made in this place.
Join me this Sunday, 10:30a.m. @ the Colleton Rec Center. I’ll be sharing a message called “Overcoming Your Past.” Come as you are, Never Leave The Same.