There is no question that the same God who knit you together in your mother’s womb wants a close relationship with you. The question is never does God speak, but are you listening? Here are five ways God speaks to each of us daily and often.
1. GOD SPEAKS THROUGH CREATION. I can’t look up or around at all God has created and not see His greatness, feel his presence, and be amazed at the work of His hands. The sun, moon, stars and wonders of God’s creation scream out, “What a God.” (Romans 1:20) For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
2. GOD SPEAKS THROUGH CIRCUMSTANCES. I believe everything happens for a reason. Unfortunately, we don’t always understand those reasons, but God always has a purpose for the circumstances He allows. There is nothing that you have ever gone through or will go through that God’s voice can’t be heard loud and clear if you’re listening. Jesus may be trying to teach you to trust him no matter what, come to him no matter when, and acknowledge him no matter where. Jesus on several occasions when explaining the reason for certain events said,(John 11:4) “..It is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.”
3. GOD SPEAKS THROUGH PEOPLE. Not everyone you meet speaks truth. However, throughout history God has used men, women, boys and girls to communicate His truth and carry out His mission. Just as God uses you to speak to others, God uses others to speak to you. (2 Corinthians 5:20) “So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”
4. GOD SPEAKS THROUGH HIS SPIRIT. For all who choose to believe and receive Jesus into their hearts, the spirit indwells them. That spirit is with every believer at all times. Convicting us when we’re living outside God’s will, directing us when we can’t see where to go next, and comforting us as we go through valleys in this life. (John 15:26) “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.
5. GOD SPEAKS THROUGH HIS WORD. The primary way God speaks is through the dustiest book on most people’s shelf. God’s word holds the final say on everything. Every time you open the pages of the Bible you are hearing the voice of God. You don’t need something written in the sky, an angel to appear, or to pray day and night in order to hear God’s voice. God has already spoken clearly on how he wants you to live, love, and carry out your everyday life. He even tells us how to prepare for the life to come. (2 Timothy 3:16-17) “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
This is not some exhaustive list of all the ways God speaks. God will do anything and everything to get your attention. Here are five ways I know God speaks to each of us. Understand, learning to recognize and hear God’s voice is a process. The closer you become to Him, the clearer His voice will become to you.
To hear God’s voice weekly and be encouraged in your faith journey join me Sundays 10:30a.m. @ the Colleton Rec Center. Refuge Church will change the way you think about church. Come as you are!